Innovative Applications of CFD
Today, innovative CFD
(Computational Fluid Dynamics) approaches are helping to solve problems ranging from landing probes on Mars to maximizing the effectiveness of aerosol drug delivery systems. Everything from hurricanes to Bunsen burners can now be modeled on a computer.
Using my own company as an example, as I write this, I am running one simulation to model the noise from a wind turbine, another two are looking at the noise from supersonic heated jets, and a further two involve acoustics and flow control around landing gear. Waiting in the wings is a wind tunnel-related simulation involving finite rate chemistry. And we're just a small R&D operation; CFD has become an integral part of all manner of applications, whether as a stand-alone application or part of a larger multi-disciplinary problem-solving capability.
So, everyone should just run out, grab a code off the shelf, and run simulations happily ever after, right?
Well, not quite...While it
can be applied to almost any situation involving fluid motion, there is still no one-size-fits-all solution. And there are some
applications for which numerical methods remain inadequate.
Even where appropriate, it is often easy to get a wrong answer that looks reasonable.
The real question
remains: Is it right for YOU?
This site is a distillation of more than twenty years experience with computational fluid dynamics. Its aim is to help you decide if numerical flow modeling can help solve your particular engineering problems. Or, if you are already using a flow solver, the tips and tricks on this site can help you get better results from
So, to see if there's an innovative CFD solution for you, read on...
- Search the Innovative CFD Site
- From this page you can search the entire Innovative CFD web site.
- The Innovative CFD Blog
- The Innovative CFD Blog keeps you up to date on all the latest additions and updates to the Innovative-CFD.com web site. Subscribe here.
- Examples of CFD Applications
- Here is a set of sample CFD applications drawn from various projects. These
case are primarily aerospace oriented, but cover a wide variety
of flow configurations and speed regimes.
- Free CFD Solver Reviews
- When choosing a CFD solver, there are a lot of options. Here are reviews of a few production-capable CFD packages.
- CFD Verification and Validation: Establishing the Accuracy of CFD
- Verification and validation techniques are used to ensure that your results are as accurate as possible. Here are some tips to help you gain some confidence in your code's accuracy.
- CFD Analysis Tips and Tricks
- In years of performing CFD analysis, you pick up a few techniques along the way. Here is an assortment of various tips to help you be more successful in your use of CFD.
- CFD Consulting: When, Why, and How.
- Working with a CFD consulting company makes a lot of sense in the right circumstances. This page discusses how the process can work and what to look for when evaluating this possibility.
- The Innovative CFD FAQ
- The Innovative CFD FAQ is where the most commonly asked questions, along my answers, have been gathered together
- Inquire About Innovative Solutions to Your CFD Needs
- Use this form to inquire about working with ITAC to address your CFD needs.
- Contact Me
- Contact me and let me know what you think of the Innovative CFD site, suggest improvements, or ask questions. Let me know what you'd like to see next.
- About Innovative CFD and Me
- If you want to know about who is building the Innovative CFD site and why, check out this page.
- Innovative CFD is as accurate as we can manage, but use it at your own risk.
- Support the Innovative CFD Website
- Like what you see on the Innovative CFD site? Want to help keep it going? Here are some ways you can contribute.